EDMOND ATHLETICS PHASE-IN PLAN (updated 5/28/2020 @ 1 pm)
Edmond Public Schools, in conjunction with state agencies, physicians, and the CDC, has determined that athletics can safely resume on June 11, 2020, with certain restrictions. The situation surrounding COVID-19 is fluid, and adjustments may be
necessary. The safety of the district’s athletes and coaches is the top priority. Staff and athletes will be expected to monitor their health and well-being each day before attendance. Anyone who feels compromised in any way must stay home to minimize the risk to other athletes and staff. Participation in June activities is strictly voluntary, not a requirement by Edmond Public Schools.
TO MINIMIZE EXPOSURE, ONLY COACHES AND ATHLETES WILL BE PERMITTED ON CAMPUS DURING SUMMER WORKOUTS.
COACHES’ TRAINING : JUNE 2-4
Site-specific training for coaches and administrators on the implementation of procedures and practices related to phasing in athletics will be conducted by the Athletic Trainer and site AD.
EDMOND ATHLETICS PHASE ONE : JUNE 11-26
Coaches may have face-to-face contact with 7-12 students enrolled or pre-enrolled at their school, using the provisions provided below. No team practice is permitted. No camps, clinics, or leagues may be conducted. Outdoor strength and conditioning will be held for fall sports only. All workouts will start no earlier than 8 am and will conclude no later than 12 pm. In the case of inclement weather, practice will be canceled and not rescheduled.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE COACH
* Conduct pre-screening before arriving on campus. Any symptoms of illness will require a coach to communicate with the site and self-isolate at home.
* As a head coach of a fall sport, coaches can choose to hold summer workouts during Phase One or not.
* Coaches who choose to participate during this period will be responsible for planning and implementing all activities.
* With the exception of an emergency, there will be no access to coaches’ offices or the training room.
* The expectation is for the coach to show up dressed and ready to work.
* Coaches and athletes are asked not to gather or socialize before or after practice.
* Coaches are expected to create, communicate, and implement a student arrival and check-in process that includes taking and recording student temperatures.
* Stadium restrooms will be open and available for student use.
* Coaches or other supervisory adults must wear a mask or cloth face covering.
* Any equipment used, including balls, bats, helmets, etc. must be disinfected between workout groups.
* A cold tub must be available in case of an emergency.
* Coaches should take care to assign athletes to common cohort groups for Phase One to ensure tracking capability in the event of a positive COVID diagnosis.
* All PHASE ONE summer workouts/activities will be voluntary. Athletes will not be penalized for not being able to attend and will not be required to make up missed workouts.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE ATHLETES
* Students must have a current physical on file with EPS or a 2020-21 physical in order to participate, and they must be
enrolled or pre-enrolled at the school where they are participating
* Athletes are expected to pre-screen before arrival on campus. Any symptoms of illness will require a student to call in sick and self-isolate at home.
* Prior to the beginning of Phase One, athletes must complete the online Assumption of Risk and Waiver Liability Form on Rank One. Coaches will provide the athletes with the survey link and additional information.
* Athletes should show up ready to workout. There will be no access to locker rooms or training rooms; so athletes should show up dressed and ready to work.
* Students are expected to refrain from gathering in groups before or after practice and to stay in their vehicles until directed to enter the facility. Social distancing guidelines must be followed.
* Any person entering the facility must sign-in and have his/her temperature checked by the coach or athletic trainer. Any individual with a temperature registering 100.4 degrees or above will not be permitted to stay and will be sent home.
* Students who get a ride to practice will need to ask their driver to remain on campus until the athlete’s temperature has been confirmed at 100.3 or lower.
* Any athlete who registers or reports a fever of 100.4 or higher must have a signed physician release before returning to practice.
* During daily Phase One check-in and workouts, athletes must maintain the social distance expectation of six feet. Tables and distance markings will be provided as a guide at each check-in station.
* Hands must be washed or hand sanitizer used upon arrival and prior to beginning any activity.
* Students should provide their own source of hydration. There will be no access to water fountains, water bottles, hoses, or any other public water source with the exception of an emergency and as directed by the athletic trainer.
* At the end of the workout, students should exit the stadium and parking lot immediately. Take care to see that rides know the announced time for the end of the practice.
* No shared hydrating bottles, towels, gloves, helmets, facemasks, or any other personal equipment is permitted.
* Students must enter and exit through designated areas only.
There will be no charge to the athletes for summer workouts, but all participants are encouraged to donate a case of water or a bottle of hand sanitizer to share with teammates.
PHASE TWO WILL DEPEND ON THE SUCCESS OF PHASE ONE...